The Town of French Camp
The town of French Camp, Mississippi dates back to circa 1810, when a Frenchman, Louis Lefleur, established a stand or trading post and inn, on the Natchez Trace. The Choctaw natives and others in the area called it The Frenchman's Camp. Later it was shortened to French Camp.
Louis was married to Rebecca Cravat, a Choctaw princess, and they had a son whom they named Greenwood. He changed his surname to Leflore, hence the difference in spellings. He also became the last Chief of the Choctaws east of the Mississippi River.
French Camp Academy Established
In 1885 a group of Scotch-Irish Christians established a school for girls at French Camp. These Presbyterian missionaries named it The Central Mississippi Institute for Girls. Because of its success, French Camp Academy for boys was started later that year. In 1915, fire destroyed the girls institute, and the schools were combined under the name French Camp Academy.
A major change took place in 1950 when French Camp Academy was reorganized under the direction of an interdenominational Board of Trustees. SInce that time, FCA has grown to accommodate 160 boarding students and provide families in the nearby communities with a quality Christ-centered education and atmosphere.
French Camp Academy is well respected around the nation as a Christian boarding school that exists to serve young people and families for the glory of God.
A Community Within A Community
French Camp Academy is a 900-acre community within a community. Approximately 300 young people and adults live and work here. This Southern community is 90 miles north of Jackson and 80 miles south of Tupelo. The town has a population of around 150, many of whom graduated from FCA, currently attend, or work at FCA. The history and progress of FCA and the town go hand in hand. We are thankful to have a great community to help support and enhance our ministry to young people.